Before shopping for floating shelves, it's important to understand the safety and maintenance issues involved.
This article answers 7 frequently asked questions about floating shelves so you can make an informed decision.
1. How do you Attach Floating Shelves to the Wall?
Installing floating shelves is a simple way to add extra storage space to your home without wasting valuable floor space.
2. Do Floating Shelves Damage Walls?
While any type of shelving has the potential to cause some damage if not installed properly, floating shelves are low risk.
With a little care and attention, the ideal floating wall shelves can be a safe and stylish addition to any room in your home.
3. Do Floating Shelves Sag Over Time?
Over time, any shelf will sag if it is not supported. This is especially true of floating wall shelves, which have no visible means of support.
To prevent this from happening, you need to ensure that your floating shelves are correctly installed and have adequate support.
4. What to Know Before Installing Floating Shelves?
While installing floating shelves is a relatively easy do-it-yourself project, you should know a few things before getting started.
- The weight limit of the shelves: Be sure to check the maximum weight capacity of the shelves before purchasing or installing them.
- The distance between the wall and the shelf: For the shelf to appear "floating," there needs to be enough space between it and the wall.
5. Can you put Floating Shelves on Plaster Walls?
The answer is yes if you're wondering whether you can put floating wall shelves on plaster walls!
However, there are a few things to remember when installing floating shelves on plaster walls.
- Ensure the plaster is in good condition and properly adequately to the wall.
- Make sure you follow all installation instructions and use the proper anchors. If done properly, they should provide years of trouble-free use.
6. Are Shelves with Brackets Stronger than Floating Shelves?
Regarding strength, floating shelves have the advantage over shelves with brackets.
This is because floating shelves are supported by the wall rather than relying on brackets to keep them in place.
This means they can bear a lot more weight than shelves with brackets.
7. Are Floating Shelves a Good Idea?
Floating shelves are the perfect way to add style and storage to create an eye-catching, functional, and stylish display.
Here are some other reasons floating shelves are a great addition to your home:
- They are versatile and can be used in various ways, including as a bookshelf or display case.
- They're much safer than traditional shelves, easier to clean, and require little maintenance.
- Most floating wall shelves can generally hold anywhere from 15-30 pounds.
- You can install floating shelves without drilling into your walls.
Another factor to consider is the size of your space and the weight of the items you plan to store on them before purchasing.
Contact Peter's Goods if you have any other questions about floating shelves.
Since 2017, Peter's Goods has specialized in creating modern wall shelves designed for practicality and aesthetic appeal.